Wednesday 21 January 2009

The Story So Far ...

It's January 2009 and here's the story so far;

  1. I've always written songs in bands since I was about 15.
  2. Since I was about 22 I've been drawing and painting.
  3. My son was born in 2005 and I was horrified by how awful modern children's stories are. I ended up buying Roald Dahl and The Little Prince etc.
  4. I made up simple songs and sang them to my son.
  5. I decided to have a go a writing some children's stories (as many people do) in late 2005.
  6. In 2006, 7 and 8 I sent many manuscripts to publishers. I had some interest but I couldn't believe how low my percentage of the sales would be. I also refused to pay a "vanity" publisher to print the book for me.
  7. I'm from a business and technical background and thought I had what it takes to self-publish.

So here's my story. Right now my first book "Tortoise George" is with the printers. It took many months with an hour here and there after work to get it ready. I've registered the ISBN and I have the bar-code from the book printers who have been very helpful. The plan is to get the book out in Feb 2009 and to start promoting it online and to sell it on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment